Interesting article June 6 2013




I believe all teachers go through bouts of not liking teaching just like a lot of professionals from other industries. I enjoyed reading this blog.

“I Don't Like Teaching. There, I Said It”

By Sidney Perth

“I will never forget the day. I was in my third year of graduate school and had reached a point where I was comfortable discussing things with a faculty mentor. Perhaps letting down my guard too easily, I told him that I was not so sure I liked teaching”.

“That was an understatement. My admission wasn't because of a bad episode. And it wasn't that I was experiencing my first taste of burnout (that would come later). Rather, my discomfort with teaching stemmed from the broad experience I was gaining in the classroom. My Midwestern state university required teaching assistants to lead four 50-minute tutorials each week for a large introductory course. I had four semesters of that behind me, and two small courses that I taught on my own during summers”.

“I had become aware of just how repetitive teaching can be, of how few students had much interest in the topics to which I wanted to devote my life, of how universities thwart learning in various ways, of how sometimes I was too tired to enjoy a class or was just not in the mood to teach, and of the many pedagogical failures and disappointments that I would face if I continued. The list of cons has multiplied since then”.

“The mentor to whom I spilled the beans had won teaching prizes and honors at college, university, and even national levels. His response? He didn't like teaching, either”.


Dr Flavius A B Akerele III

The ETeam

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If you want my business

The truth about “black on black crime’ by Dr Flavius Akerele III

Follow‑Up Post on Ghosting