Whatever Happened to Networking?
What does professional networking mean to you? Is it reaching out when
you need a job? Asking someone for an introduction? Connecting because someone
has information that might benefit you? Or is networking supposed to be
something more?
I've been thinking lately about how many ways we now have to connect with
one another. LinkedIn, professional associations, conferences, email, social
media, alumni networks, the opportunities are almost endless.
Yet I wonder whether we're actually networking more or simply
contacting more people.
There is a difference.
Real networking, at least as I understand it, should involve the genuine
exchange of ideas, information, opportunities, and sometimes assistance, with
no guarantee that anything comes back to us.
Sometimes you make an introduction simply because two people should know
each other.
Sometimes you send someone an article because you think they'll find it
useful.
Sometimes you tell someone about an opportunity even though you're not
interested in it yourself. And sometimes you simply ask: “How are things
going?” without following it with a request.
I also wonder whether today's professional environment has made this
harder. Layoffs, reorganizations, economic uncertainty, competition for
positions, and concerns about job security can create an understandable
instinct toward self-preservation.
When everyone feels like they're competing for the same opportunities,
professional relationships can quietly become transactional: What can this
person do for me?
And I'll admit something. I'm guilty of it too. I'm not claiming
sainthood here. I've reached out to people because I needed information, wanted
an introduction, was exploring an opportunity, or thought someone might be able
to help me.
But I am trying to be better about reaching out when I do not need
anything. Perhaps that's how we begin rebuilding meaningful professional
networks.
·
Share someone's work.
·
Make an introduction.
·
Recommend someone for an opportunity.
·
Answer a question.
·
Offer advice when it's requested.
·
Celebrate somebody else's success.
·
And occasionally check in with someone simply because they're part of
your professional community.
Maybe the best networking question isn't: “What can this person do for
me?”.
Maybe it's: “What can we learn from each other?”.
Professional networking shouldn't simply be the accumulation of contacts.
It should be the cultivation of relationships.
Leadership Reflection
What does meaningful professional networking look like to you, and what
can we do to create more of it?
Please share. No pitches. No selling. Just ideas.
Dr. Flavius A. B. Akerele III, EdD, MBA
#ProfessionalNetworking #Leadership #ProfessionalDevelopment
#RelationshipBuilding #CareerDevelopment #LeadershipReflection #Community
#LifelongLearning
Comments
Post a Comment
Please be respectful, thoughtful, and relevant with your comments:))