Thursday, February 21, 2013

Scholarships and colleges



I do not claim to be an expert on college sports, but what I do know, is that better care could be taken towards the well-being of the athletes (and I mean beyond strength and conditioning). Graduation rates need to go up, especially in athletes of color, and how do you expect kids to understand all the NCAA rules if the rules are subjective?

“Wrestler Loses Scholarship for Posting His Music Online” (http://www.insidehighered.com/quicktakes/2013/02/21/wrestler-loses-scholarship-posting-his-music-online), and from what I understand he posted his own original music, made no profit, and was trying to inspire people. It seems sometimes that the athletes who do some really bad things (can we say sexual assault) get protection, and the wrong ones get punished. What is going to happen to this student now? Will he graduate from college or was this his only shot?

As I said, I do not claim to be an expert, but something seems off to me here. What are your thoughts? Did they do the right thing?

Dr Flavius A B Akerele III

The ETeam

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful, thoughtful, and relevant with your comments:))