Hidden Information?




After seeing the title of an article today: “Accreditation Actions Increased During Financial Downturn”, I was looking forward to reading a report with some good data, on what should be an important educational topic topic (http://chronicle.com/blogs/bottomline/accreditation-actions-increased-during-financial-downturn/?cid=at&utm_source=at&utm_medium=en).

 

After actually reading the article (although well written), I noticed it was missing something very important, the actual report itself. Apparently, “the report is available only to Moody’s subscribers”. So my question is: why withhold great information like that from the general public?

 

There is a tendency in educational research to ‘archive’ data, rather than widely disseminate it. A lot of great information is just sitting somewhere, locked away, as if in a cave gathering dust, almost like the gold of Fort Knox, and that is a shame. There is a great blog article by Ben Baumberg, which further addresses some of these questions titled “the harms of hidden research” http://inequalitiesblog.wordpress.com/2012/03/22/the-harms-of-hidden-research-part-ii/, but my point is simple: release the information because people want to know; people need to know.

 

As an educational professional, when I hear information like “the number of sanctions from national accrediting agencies increased by nearly 50 percent from 2008 to 2011” (Chronicle December 18, 2012, 1:48 pm), I want know why because this information could be useful in helping students.

 

We are trying to help students right?

Dr Flavius A B Akerele III

The ETeam

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If you want my business

The truth about “black on black crime’ by Dr Flavius Akerele III

Does this still exist in the true form?