Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Are you using the proper rule? A generational question


We talk about the golden rule “treat people the way you want to be treated”, but in actuality it is wrong; and this becomes evidenced more and more each generation it seems.

Simple things like:
·         If you are considerably younger than me, do not be offended if I do not invite you to use my first name
·         I do not appreciate attempts at imposing your values and ideals about what I should eat upon me, no matter how passionate you might be about them
·         If we have a discussion, I expect you to be able to clearly articulate your message with specific examples and to be able to listen to my counter arguments in calm manner without resorting to silly phrases like “agree to disagree”
·         I am very good with technology, I just do not feel it is necessary to jump on all the new untested technology right away like a sheep

Manners, debate, critical thinking have not gone out of style, and they are just often overlooked today due to the speed at which things move. Slow down, and remember life needs to be lived.

The correct rule is not the golden rule, but the platinum rule: “treat people the way they want to be treated”. In order to find out what they want, it means you are using real communication skills, and not just a text or email message. Get to know people and not just through google and social media.
Thoughts of an educator

Dr Flavius A B Akerele III
The ETeam

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful, thoughtful, and relevant with your comments:))