Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Sharing a couple of articles May 27 2014

I thought these two articles were worth sharing, and I think they speak for themselves…
“Bible College’s President Faces Forced-Labor Charges”
“Reginald Miller, president of Cathedral Bible College, in Marion, S.C., was arrested on Thursday in connection with allegations that he forced foreign students to work for low wages and threatened to revoke their visas if they did not comply, The Sun News reported.”
“Investigators filed a criminal complaint against Mr. Miller stating that they have probable cause to charge him with forced labor, a felony that carries with it a maximum of 20 years in prison for each count. They said he had misrepresented the college to foreign applicants. The college did not respond to the newspaper’s request for comment.”
http://chronicle.com/blogs/ticker/bible-colleges-president-faces-forced-labor-charges/78399?cid=at&utm_source=at&utm_medium=en
Exploiting foreign students gives every college a bad name.
 
“A survivor speaks out”
“In October 2012, when I was a 17-year-old first-year student, I was raped at Williams College by a 21-year-old freshman hockey player. I reported the assault to the dean’s office, and an investigative panel was appointed. The panel found the perpetrator guilty of sexual assault, suspending him from Williams for three semesters. My rapist appealed the finding, and the second trial once again found him guilty of sexual assault. At the end of the three-month ordeal, my attacker was suspended for three semesters from Williams. At the time, neither my parents nor I focused on his being suspended rather than expelled; it never occurred to us that the suspension was merely administrative and that Williams would readmit a known sexual assailant. By coming forward and sharing my story, my intentions are to encourage the College to take the adequate measures to prevent another student from being put in the position that I was: victimized, threatened and overwhelmingly isolated.”
When will colleges learn what their priorities should be?

Feel free to chime in.
Dr Flavius A B Akerele III
The ETeam


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful, thoughtful, and relevant with your comments:))