Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Good idea or selective prosecution




I have said it before and I will say it again: for-profit institutions have a place in this world of higher education. There are good players, there are bad players, and there are some institutions that might care about students more than other institutions. However, find me a school that does not want to make a profit and I will show you Bigfoot and his three brothers.

I have been fortunate to work at all kinds of institutions, and my conclusion is if you want to make this thing we call higher education work properly, all players need to work together.

“Profit and the Public Good” ( http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2013/03/12/accreditors-new-standards-raise-bar-serving-public), “We felt it was important to make a statement -- that education is a public good, said Sylvia Manning, president of the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools”.

The question is: whose definition of public good? I am not taking sides, just pointing out some things, and the biggest thing I see right now is politics (on all sides).

Please make sure that when a punishment is meted out that it is in the best interests of the most important stakeholders: the students.
 

This will be interesting to watch.

Dr Flavius A B Akerele III

The ETeam

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful, thoughtful, and relevant with your comments:))