I cannot take credit for this information below today; however, good practices need to be shared with others.
“Student Engagement in the Online Classroom” (http://chronicle.com/article/Student-Engagement-in-the/136897/?cid=wc&utm_source=wc&utm_medium=en), this article has great simple tips that work in the online classroom.
· Start with a good opening.
· Be first whenever possible
· Respond to all student queries within 24 hours
· Be detailed and positive in your comments on their work
· Respond to all—or nearly all—student discussion postings
· From the beginning of the course, have ready a link to Frequently Asked Questions
· Establish an "extra resources" section of your course
· Require students to pitch in
· Steer discussion threads in the direction of students' professional needs
· Offer live chats on a weekly basis
Do you have good practices you wish to share? The more the merrier, because it all helps students!
Dr Flavius A B Akerele III