Stats can be used to prove almost anything if you want them to depending on how you present them.
Let us look at Bill O’Reilly’s “big revelation” on his show recently. Let me also start by saying United States is more than just “black and white”, the way he presented his numbers are designed to do nothing else but perpetuate “black and white” divide. He missed the opportunity to help heal and took the low road and continued to spew hate and fear, so shame on him.
The FBI Crime stats, are based upon voluntary reporting by law enforcement agencies and the FBI themselves cannot really confirm their numbers. So, keep in mind there are many unreported shootings.
Let us break this down the way number should be:
2013 Blacks committed 5375 murders, these are people convicted of murder
2013 Whites committed 4396 murders, these are people convicted of murder
- What is missing here is the number of whites accused of murder who were acquitted.
- Whites are acquitted at a much higher rate, enough that it is statistically significant
- The conviction rate of blacks is several times higher than whites
- Blacks are accused of murder at a much higher rate than whites (instead of things like manslaughter)
If you add in these numbers, you will see a much different statistic
2013 123 Blacks were killed by police with a gun
- This does not include those who were chocked or beaten which would increase the number of deaths of both groups, but especially blacks
2013 326 whites were killed by police with a gun
- Population of the U.S is approx 300 million, 63% white 13% black. Statistically, blacks are killed at a much higher percentage than whites
Police killings of Blacks down 70% in the last 50 years. (really?)
- This not a relevant stat because it used to be virtually legal to kill blacks up until the 70s, and the introduction of video cameras has further decreased previously wanton murderous behavior. The fact that he is applauding blacks are being killed less by police means he is an idiot
What is missing from here, is the fact that citizens of the United States are being killed by the people who are supposed to protect us, and these public servants are not being held accountable for their poor performance. If schoolteachers made these kinds of errors in their job, there would be a virtual lynching of them.
This is not a racial post, this a factual post, as an educator when I see BS being used as statistical data, I have to call it out. Lives are not entertainment for a show and every life is precious.
Law enforcement needs not just training, but training that brings them back into the community they serve instead of a being perceived as a separate occupying force. Do police walk the beat anymore? Do they introduce themselves to the neighborhood without ulterior motives? Why do they view their jobs as combat and not a public service? Since when have citizens become the enemy?
Dr Flavius A B Akerele III