Thursday, March 13, 2014

Do you remember the things you went through for your terminal degree?


I am sharing an article I read today that seemed to capture a lot of the feelings we go through during this process.
“The Six Stages of Graduate Education”
“Application Year: “This graduate program will be great. I’ll get to study the things I enjoyed as an undergraduate, and they’re going to pay me enough to get by in an exciting new city. And when it’s all done, I’ll become a professor and get to write books and teach classes at a research university or maybe a liberal-arts college. I won’t be rich, but I’ll be comfortable, and I’ll be doing useful work without having to sell out.””


“Years 1-2: “This is really hard. Everybody speaks in ‘theory’ all the time, and they all seem to know so much more than I do. And I’m taking on all kinds of extra work as a research assistant so I can pay my rent. How can I possibly read 2,000 pages a week, keep up with my research projects, and learn a second foreign language? I’m going to fail my qualifying exams. I feel like an imposter. Maybe I should leave.””


“Year 3: “OK, maybe I can do this. I did pass my exams, and I won an essay prize and published a few things. Teaching sections for two different courses is hard, but I’m learning a lot, and I have plenty of time ahead of me. I’m enjoying reading books, gathering research materials, and thinking about my project, and I can make real progress on writing the dissertation in the summer.””


Read it all here: https://chroniclevitae.com/news/377-the-six-stages-of-graduate-education?cid=oh&utm_source=oh&utm_medium=en


My question is: how was your process? Did you enjoy it?


Dr Flavius A B Akerele III
The ETeam


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful, thoughtful, and relevant with your comments:))