Do you remember the things you went through for your terminal degree?


I am sharing an article I read today that seemed to capture a lot of the feelings we go through during this process.
“The Six Stages of Graduate Education”
“Application Year: “This graduate program will be great. I’ll get to study the things I enjoyed as an undergraduate, and they’re going to pay me enough to get by in an exciting new city. And when it’s all done, I’ll become a professor and get to write books and teach classes at a research university or maybe a liberal-arts college. I won’t be rich, but I’ll be comfortable, and I’ll be doing useful work without having to sell out.””


“Years 1-2: “This is really hard. Everybody speaks in ‘theory’ all the time, and they all seem to know so much more than I do. And I’m taking on all kinds of extra work as a research assistant so I can pay my rent. How can I possibly read 2,000 pages a week, keep up with my research projects, and learn a second foreign language? I’m going to fail my qualifying exams. I feel like an imposter. Maybe I should leave.””


“Year 3: “OK, maybe I can do this. I did pass my exams, and I won an essay prize and published a few things. Teaching sections for two different courses is hard, but I’m learning a lot, and I have plenty of time ahead of me. I’m enjoying reading books, gathering research materials, and thinking about my project, and I can make real progress on writing the dissertation in the summer.””


Read it all here: https://chroniclevitae.com/news/377-the-six-stages-of-graduate-education?cid=oh&utm_source=oh&utm_medium=en


My question is: how was your process? Did you enjoy it?


Dr Flavius A B Akerele III
The ETeam


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If you want my business

The truth about “black on black crime’ by Dr Flavius Akerele III

Does this still exist in the true form?