Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Using Social Media in this Day and Age



I write a blog daily (obviously), and I share it on various social media platforms regularly. My thought is as an educator I should be sharing, because I also like to receive information from other educators; collaboration is the way to truly achieve lasting results.

Anyway, I recently experienced an unusual situation where I was told that I was “posting too much” in a particular forum, and that “the higher ups of the institution wanted to keep better control of the content of their page”. Naturally I was shocked, because none of my posting were inappropriate and they most were well received based upon the comments and feedback received. There is also the fact that I was invited into this particular forum…

Another thing that bothered me, and this is no fault of the poor messenger, but that there was an underlying ‘stop or else’ message. This particular group in my opinion has a history of that kind ‘or else’ threat to the people they employ at their offices, and I am sad because I thought they had evolved due to changes in leadership. I guess they have not.

People, when you have an open forum for professionals to post, do not be surprised when they actually do post, especially those whose job it is to do so; and do not get offended if they post more than you (the group moderators that is) do. After all, they are only trying to enhance your group, and we all want a group that has dynamic conversations and information flowing (I would hope so).


Perhaps I am just a small fish in a big pond, but I do have a voice, as do we all if we exercise them. There are many other forums to share, dissect, and collaborate education news, so that ‘particular group’, do not worry I will not be positing in there ever again, and I wish you the best (truly, not sarcastic).

Dr Flavius A B Akerele III

The ETeam


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful, thoughtful, and relevant with your comments:))