Thursday, October 10, 2013

Whining about grades

Every so often, this subject reappears, usually around the beginning of the new school year: students whining about grades.
Sometimes it seems it has become more about the letter grade rather than what it should be, and that is the learning.
Student 1: “I am an A student, I always get As”
Student 2: “I worked so hard I deserved an A”
Student 3: “You suck as a teacher because I failed”
Student 4: “You are the only teacher I know who does not accept late work”
I could go on…
Answer 1: “There is a first time for everything”
Answer 2: “Working hard is important, and I hope you gained some knowledge from your hard work. However, it does not guarantee an A”
Answer 3: “Perhaps if you had shown up to class and handed in some assignments…”
Answer 4: “Late work is accepted up to 48 hours after the assignment is due. You are trying hand in your work 8 weeks after it was due and I have been reminding you for a long time now”
Every professor I know has stories like this, and it is not slowing down. What are your thoughts on this subject? How can we get students to concentrate on the learning more than the grade?
 
Dr Flavius A B Akerele III
The ETeam

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful, thoughtful, and relevant with your comments:))