Monday, August 11, 2014

Sharing an article August 11 2014


“The Rise of the Helicopter Teacher”

“A week before the first paper was due, a young woman in my class raised her hand and asked where the rubric was.”

“Shamefaced and stuttering, I had to admit that I had no idea what a rubric was. She helpfully explained that this was a set of guidelines explaining what I expected them to write, how I expected them to write it, and how each aspect of the paper would be evaluated. A set of boxes that students could check off to guarantee that they had met my expectations. For all intents and purposes, in other words, an outline for the paper.”

“Oh, I replied. No, I continued, there would be no rubric. And as I saw the crestfallen faces in front of me I realized what these students expected me to be: a helicopter teacher.”

“We have all seen (and made fun of) helicopter parents. They hover. They are endlessly accommodating. They put up with rude, spoiled behavior from their children without offering much by way of discipline or punishment.”

“Over the last generation or so, teaching has come to resemble parenting in several ways, swayed by the currents of hyper-parenting that come from the larger culture and responding to the dictates that come down to us from higher up our institutional food chains.”

Read the whole thing here: http://chronicle.com/blogs/conversation/2014/08/05/the-rise-of-the-helicopter-teacher/?cid=cr&utm_source=cr&utm_medium=en

What are your thoughts on this subject?

Dr Flavius A B Akerele III

The ETeam


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful, thoughtful, and relevant with your comments:))