Sharing 8/29/13

“Making Campuses Safer From Rape”
“I have had a very satisfying career as a university professor for more than 15 years now. Back in 1988, however, I couldn't have imagined such a future for myself. I was a junior in college and had just survived a sexual assault. It was a stranger rape. It was brutal. It happened in my off-campus apartment, just blocks away from the university. I learned later that the perpetrator was a relative of the president of the Board of Trustees at my university”.
 
“At the time there were few university resources available for survivors like myself. I had to contact each of my professors to see if I could get extensions on my papers and exams. I was left to navigate the legal system without guidance or support. I sought medical services on my own. I arranged to have friends escort me to and from classes. And, there were no organized counseling programs for survivors on campus. As a result, along with several others, I helped to create one of the nation's first survivor-run support groups at a university”.
A well shared story
Dr Flavius A B Akerele III
The ETeam

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The truth about “black on black crime’ by Dr Flavius Akerele III

Does this still exist in the true form?

Follow‑Up Post on Ghosting