Friday, January 4, 2013

Not your business!




I was reading an article this morning titled “Personal and Professional Boundaries” (http://www.insidehighered.com/advice/2013/01/04/essay-need-boundaries-job-interviews-and-departmental-discussions), and I was struck by how this topic has affected people I know, and me personally throughout my career in education.  

It is important that educators have a positive work/life balance because it prevents burnout. I personally am part of a motorcycle club, and I can remember my staff actually saying that I had a “split personality” because of this. I never gave it much thought, but I ask myself now, why would they think that? Riding motorcycles for me is a great stress reliever, and it is not as if I am breaking the law or something.

If we knew everything that every person did in their spare time, how would we truly look at them? Could we not be judgmental or is judging just part of working in education? I have mentioned this before; educators are notorious gossips, and we do not often think about how our words and actions affect peoples’ lives. We are capable of creating drama where no exists, and of spreading rumors like the plague.


Educators are paid to educate, but we often put so much of ourselves into our everyday work that it is no wonder the lines are blurred. However, perhaps we should start remembering we are human, and humans are flawed. Perhaps we can start working on these flaws, because in the end, it will make us better educators, and that is better for students.

It is about the student right?

Dr Flavius A B Akerele

The ETeam

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful, thoughtful, and relevant with your comments:))